Monday, February 13, 2012

Our Little Overnight Getaway...with the kids ;)



Toward the end of last week Deep took a couple days off work and we took the kids to the beach. While Ari has a love/hate relationship with the waves, she talks about them non-stop and all of her toys in all her scenarios go to the "beach and the ocean".


This is before his mouth hit the sand...
 
A beach 45 minutes from our house
...new favorite "playground"


After our day at the beach and nap time/coffee date in the car, we went to a quaint little barbecue joint that was about as 'country' as they come, but served up some incredible ribs, pulled pork, and potato salad (and root beer in a bottle...my favorite ;)
  
By the way...this was probably the only moment Caleb sat still the entire meal.  He ended up, of course,  crawling on the floor so I could take a bite of my barbecue... (and no, as gross as it was, he didn't die)
  We stayed in a hotel that night (and just fyi, my children DO NOT sleep well away from home...why we did it??...not really sure.... :/ ) The next morning we found a fun, local coffee shop and had a delicious piece of raspberry coffee cake and triple shot lattes--that got me goin' ;) We ventured over to the Monterey Aquarium and had a blast...seriously! Cabe was content and cooing as long as he could crawl, and Ari was captivated by all the loud, obnoxious kids...probably even more than the fish. I learned a lot about ordering fish in a way that is good for the environment and our health, and felt an overwhelming curiosity and appreciation for things I know so little about--like that world...under the sea :) It was a great experience.




Thankfully at this point Cubby was happily nestled in his stroller keeping warm!
 At one point we went outside to get some fresh air and let Ari run around. We snagged her every once in a while and tried to capture a pic with her...Deep got the best one!

Finally, before we headed back we had the most creamy, hearty bread bowl of clam chowder. Sorry... didn't last long enough for pictures. Perfect way to end an almost perfect day ;) 

Overall smooth, playful, honest time with my family. Lots of driving which gave me and Deep some undistracted time to talk. I'm thankful for these little outings and a job that allows my hubs to get away like this. But its funny, with kids, "adventures" are taxing and so while I anticipate them with excitement, I find the 'during' and 'finale' to be a bit stressful/messy at times (for instance, I didn't think we would ever get sand out of our...everything!). So while I appreciate these getaways, I am also reminded (as I sit here in my pjs while my kids play together with their toys) how much I enjoy being home...comfortable, in control of my family's environment/food etc..., and in a routine. 

I really love my pjs :)


2 comments:

  1. That sounds so fun, wild, and memory-making! :) Beautiful pictures - I like the one with Caleb in the aquarium!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the photos! i'm so glad ya'll got to go on a mini vacation :) even w/o kids I understand the "is this worth it?" feeling. but the memories and the chances for long talks undisturbed totally are! love you, girl!
    -Alli

    ReplyDelete